I had to have my dog put down on February 4th. He would have been 14 the 17th of this month. I had him since he was a pup. It was our hope that he would make it to his birthday, but that was not to be.

Boomer was a Papillon on the larger end of the scale, he was about 21 lbs. I started noticing accidents on our kitchen floor and blamed it on our Sheltie. But one day, Boomer was standing their looking at me and just let go. I attributed it to old age and incontinence. However, shortly after this incident I noticed blood in his urine so I figured he had an UTI. I made an appointment with the vet for the next day. That morning, I got up and Boom was lying in a puddle of urine and I could not get him to move in order to clean him up. I waited for my husband to get home (he works third shift) and we took him to the vet. This was in July of 2010. They found a very large stomach tumor and another on his bladder. I could not understand how he could have such a large tumor without us knowing about it. He had just had his physical in April! Due to his age, the Vet did not feel he would survive any type of surgery so we, like you, once it was confirmed he was not suffering, put him on antibiotics and prednisone and cherished what time we hoped we would have left with him.

Like you, I have had many pets but I have never had to make the decision to end their life. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. . . perhaps even the hardest, but like the Vet told us, we would know when it was time, and we did. We probably ‘ignored’ the signs for about a week and I finally told my husband we were being selfish making him hold on for our account. He had stopped eating, was drinking very little, could hardly stand up without assistance, and I could see in his eyes he was ready to say goodbye.

I picked up the phone to call the vet, but I couldn’t do it. I had to have my husband do it. Afterwards, he went in the bathroom and wept. This was a horrible week for us, my husband’s grandmother had passed away the previous Saturday from a very short, unexpected illness (went into the hospital on Sunday, died the following Saturday). The date was scheduled for the next day. I spent all day with Boom – – I cried all day, as I am doing now. My husband went out for a bit and came back with two McDonald’s hamburgers for Boom – – which, because Dad was feeding him, Boom managed to get down a couple of bite. I cried uncontrollably – – this was to be his last super!

My husband and I had decided that we could not go in with Boom when he was put to sleep. Once we got there, I said to my husband, “I’m staying with him.” I just knew that I could not let him do that alone. I wanted the last touch he felt and voice he heard to be from his Mommy. God it was so hard and I think about it every time I close my eyes. I miss my baby terribly.

Reading your book, I knew first hand everything you had gone through and my heart bled for you. Your Sprite was put to sleep on my birthday. I will think of him fondly and say a prayer for him and your family on each of my birthdays to come.

I was just today able to put Boom’s picture in the spot provided for same on his urn. He stays in the kitchen, where he loved to hang out with Daddy. He was the smartest dog I ever owned and he had such personality. I don’t think he knew he was a dog! He would actually have a conversation with you and he knew how to play Mommy in ways to get what he wanted.