My Grizzly.

I purchased Grizzly as a 4 month old full blooded Rotty back in 1994 from a pet shop in Illinois.
He was bought to help me get over a fear of Rottwieller’s that I had. I was attacked by a Rotty in the 80’s and thus began my fear.

Grizzly from the very beginning claimed me as his. I raised him for the first 5 years of his life in a tractor trailer, and he was the ultimate alarm system. Many happy stories about having him in the truck, and also many sad stories.
Within the first year of his life in the truck Grizzly had come down with 3 viral infections that left his bowels in a terrible state. I almost lost him 2 times, and I had to hospitalize him in whatever state we were travelling in at the time. I was afraid that I was going to have to put him down.

God was with Grizzly and I, and we were able to continue our life as a family for several years. He did so many of the usual dog things like tangle with skunks and other wildlife, and he usually ended up with the worst side of the confrontations.

He would also stick his face in the garbage or on the counters or tables. I would just tell him in a firm tone to “get your face down” and he would lower his head and slowly walk off looking back as if to say “party pooper”. He was so wonderful.

In the mid 90’s Grizzly met my grandchildren to the reluctance of my eldest daughter who was always afraid of dog’s. My Grand-son would try to climb on top of Grizzly as if to ride him, and he would just sit down so he was more like a slide. He did this with all of the young children he ever came into contact with, it was wonderful to see the gentle and loving side of a dog that had a bad reputation as an agrresive breed.

As the years passed, Grizzly’s health was deteriorating, and hip dysplacia set in with other illnesses. He had a bout with cancer, and we had to remove one of his toe’s. I cried because I felt that it was my fault for not seeing ant issue that would have forwarned me. It clearly was not an error on my behalf, just a fact of life.

In late 2003 Grizzly had some form of nerve problem associated with the dysplacia, and he started to have problems walking. I did everything that I could with the vet, to help him, and things started looking very badly. I made an appointment with the vet to do the humaine thing, and was visiting Grizzly everyday for what was to be the last week of his life. I prayed so hard for God to let me keep my baby, and to help heal Grizzly. # hours before I was to go to the vets office, I got a frantic call from one of the staff members telling me I needed to come right away. When I got to the vet’s office (15 minutes after the call), the girl in the office took me to the back kennels, and there was my Grizzly walking and wagging his butt (no tail) excited to see me and like a baby I cried and thanked the Lord I was given more time with Grizzly.

We enjoyed our time together and I never forgot about the extension on the lease on life.
On April 18, 2005 at 4:30 PM, the saddest day of our lives together came to be. His illnesses had all caught up to him, and this time there was only one thing that I could do. I have cried so many times when I think about that loss. I am so greatful that that gentle giant came into my life and was able to help me conquer the fear that I once had. He also helped every member of my family realize that a dog isn’t aggressive unless it is taught to be.

I currently don’t have the ability to attach photo’s of Grizzly, but I hope to be able to get some scanned soon.
I cry nightly when listening to the stories from your listeners Mark, and one day I hope to have the courage to pick up your book. For now I am content with the therapy that you and your listeners provide, and I thank you very much for the wonderful thing that you have done by writing about Sprite.

Paul from ME